When we first moved to India, this blog was all about the crazy experiences we had and what we missed about the US. Ten months after we moved back to the US, I have hardly mentionned India, granted I've hardly blogged but here is my "What I miss about India" list:
1) If you can't guess what I miss the most, you have obviously not read this blog before. Because hand's down it is the FOOD!! I miss eating vada pav and sabhudana vada outside Total Mall. I have not had a good vada pav since we've left India Sabudhana vada, I bet most of you have never even heard of it, I hadn't until we lived there. Anyway, I miss the mangoes, the streetside pakoras, the 5 star pakoras, pani puris, tender coconuts, sugarcane juices, idlis/sambars from the local darshinis and the smell of delicious food wherever I go.
2) The festivals - I miss Holi, we completely missed celebrating it, frankly it's too cold. Maybe we should have a Holi party in June. Diwali, we did celebrate it here but it's not the same, smoky air and loud cracking sounds for weeks after Diwali, how can you not miss that?. Ganesh Chaturthi, how do you not celebrate it in India when the Ganesha idols stare at you everywhere you go, almost daring you not to buy one and bring it to your home. I will miss shopping for my bommala kolluvu, last year I was faced with 100s of dolls to choose from, I'll probably never experience that again.
3) Relatives - I miss my cousins, aunts and uncles. We have some special memories celebrating holidays and weddings with them. I must say we're fortunate to have a huge family in North America but I do miss the folks we spent the last 3 years with.
4) Travelling - We travelled to many exotic places and we're feeling the itch to plan an exotic trip somewhere.
5) No playdates - I miss not having to arrange playdates. The kids could just go downstairs and play with their friends.
6) The shopping - Need I say more.
7) I would say cricket but you know Prasad has been streaming IPL games and I've been watching snippets of it for the past few weeks. Plus Rushil makes us play cricket with him all the time.
These are the things I miss the most.... Rushil misses playing cricket with his friends and even said the other day that he wishes we lived in India. Sindhu hardly mentions India but she is looking forward to visiting and would jump on a plane for a quick visit any day. Prasad misses the drivers, the maids and the cooks (please note that I did not mention the help which is what everyone claims is the reason to live in India)
1) If you can't guess what I miss the most, you have obviously not read this blog before. Because hand's down it is the FOOD!! I miss eating vada pav and sabhudana vada outside Total Mall. I have not had a good vada pav since we've left India Sabudhana vada, I bet most of you have never even heard of it, I hadn't until we lived there. Anyway, I miss the mangoes, the streetside pakoras, the 5 star pakoras, pani puris, tender coconuts, sugarcane juices, idlis/sambars from the local darshinis and the smell of delicious food wherever I go.
2) The festivals - I miss Holi, we completely missed celebrating it, frankly it's too cold. Maybe we should have a Holi party in June. Diwali, we did celebrate it here but it's not the same, smoky air and loud cracking sounds for weeks after Diwali, how can you not miss that?. Ganesh Chaturthi, how do you not celebrate it in India when the Ganesha idols stare at you everywhere you go, almost daring you not to buy one and bring it to your home. I will miss shopping for my bommala kolluvu, last year I was faced with 100s of dolls to choose from, I'll probably never experience that again.
3) Relatives - I miss my cousins, aunts and uncles. We have some special memories celebrating holidays and weddings with them. I must say we're fortunate to have a huge family in North America but I do miss the folks we spent the last 3 years with.
4) Travelling - We travelled to many exotic places and we're feeling the itch to plan an exotic trip somewhere.
5) No playdates - I miss not having to arrange playdates. The kids could just go downstairs and play with their friends.
6) The shopping - Need I say more.
7) I would say cricket but you know Prasad has been streaming IPL games and I've been watching snippets of it for the past few weeks. Plus Rushil makes us play cricket with him all the time.
These are the things I miss the most.... Rushil misses playing cricket with his friends and even said the other day that he wishes we lived in India. Sindhu hardly mentions India but she is looking forward to visiting and would jump on a plane for a quick visit any day. Prasad misses the drivers, the maids and the cooks (please note that I did not mention the help which is what everyone claims is the reason to live in India)
1 comment:
I am sure every time you get pangs of homesickness for India a nice, long, 30 min hot shower will make you feel better.
You had such a dreamy 3 years of adventure. We all had fun living it through you.
Post a Comment