Saturday, June 8, 2019

State of Denial

Prasad and I went to see Rahul Verma's  "State of Denial" at the  Bay Area Drama Company last night. The topic was a powerful one, it was about the Armenian genocide. It was a serious play but with a central Canadian theme and multicultural cast but believe it or  not no Armenians.  After the play Rahul Verma who is from Montreal and whom I last met 20 years ago was there for the opening night and there was  an interesting "talkback" with him, the director and the two key actors.  The audience was a multicultural of mix of many Indians, blacks, Rwandans, Armenians, Canadians and a few Americans.  The cast was mostly Indians and a couple of Rwandans  and one Caucasian. An Armenian woman spoke about how wonderful it was to see  an audience that was not Armenian and a cast that was not Armenian speak about the Arnmenian genocide which many folks don't know about  nor talk about .  I went to speak to Rahul during the intermission and he was impressed that I recognized him and he remembered my name and mentioned a story when he had mentioned my name since he always liked it.  Anyway it was a lovely night.


No comments: