Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Kashmiris

Schoolchildren walking home in Sringar

Schoolboys walking home in Aru Valley (near Pahalgam)


Woman sitting in front of her home in Aru Valley (near Pahalgam). 

School boys in Aru Valley. One of the few smiles I was able to capture.

See the small wicker basket? They heat coal in it and slide it under their robes to keep themselves warm in the winter.
Two women heading down the hill as we drove back to Pahalgam from Aru Valley. Check out those knives, I believe they use them to cut wood. Initially they were shy and didn't want to pose for me but the driver convinced them and  they waved and smiled as we drove off.

Village girls on our drive back to Pahalgam from Aru Valley.  

More pictures of them...
Waving goodbye

Schoolgirls having a picnic on Sunday. They are looking at the girls in the next picture who initially refused to take a picture.

While I was taking the previous picture, they all stood in a line waiting for me to photograph them. As I left, they waved goodbye.

Women climbing the mountain - we were driving to Chandanwari.   .

What is there to say, aren't they adorable?

Woman praying on the lawns at Jama Mosque in Srinigar

1 comment:

Teju said...

What a great collection of photos. I love reading your blog for the unique perspective you bring to normal everyday lives!!

Cannot wait to see you guys again.