Monday, April 26, 2010

The Sachin Phenomenon

IPL3  is over, last night was the final between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings, what will I do with my spare time?  To my delight, CSK won although we did feel bad about MI losing after doing so well throughout the tournament.  Our apartment complex setup a huge screen and dinner so we watched a part of it outside but later realized it's actually more comfortable watching it indoors on our couch sans les mosquitoes. The pre-show was so pro-Mumbai Indians, it was a bit nauseating. The closing ceremonies, well, what more could you ask for, two of India's greatest pastimes, Bollywood and cricket blended together.

What was interesting was the reaction that Sachin created  the moment he entered the stadium.  The crowd screamed "Sachin" during the entire match while he was playing. I mentioned this before but I'm still fascinated by how much the Indian public loves this guy.  Children aside, the 20 something year olds at work refer to him as a god and I'm not sure they are kidding.  Is there any sports figure in the US that creates such a sensation among children and men alike,  I don't think so. The country celebrated his birthday a few days ago. He transcends the state boundaries and they just love seeing him hit sixers and fours no matter which team they support. Rushil is a fine example of this. He has only heard of Sachin in the last couple of months and he cried this morning when he heard that Mumbai lost.  Ofcourse he has moved on and when he played cricket this afternoon, he was still Sachin and he let his friends be the other star players. Yes he is that bossy!


I read this on a cartoon recently.  "God wanted to play cricket, that's why Sachin was born." I think that sums up everyone's sentiment.

2 comments:

Teju said...

well written..

I think the only other sport with rabid fans is soccer Pele commanded something like this level of idolization..

Raji P. said...

You cricket fan, you!!