Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to school

Sindhu and Rushil are back in school. I attended Sindhu's middle school presentations but slipped into Rushil's class for a few minutes to meet his teachers. I caught the tail-end of the 2nd grade presentation and was quite amused to see the type of questions that the parents asked. I guess it's year #3 for us and I'm simply not interested in most of the issues the parents are concerned about. Parents worry about where their child will be dropped off , what are the food options, are there sufficient vegetarian options, how will they get to their classrooms, and all sorts of other mundane logistical questions. Granted, that was me 2 years ago. This year, I had only two questions, is there a reading program and where do I sign up for it. Rushil's eyes lit up, he is thrilled that I'll be volunteering more regularly in his class, last year,  I hardly showed up for anything.  The 2nd grade session was starkly different from the middle school presentation which was all about the curriculum and how much harder Sindhu will have to work this year.  She came home today and recited 3 sentences she learned in French, and it was great that I was able to help her out. So they're all set to start the new academic year with new backpacks, new stainless steel water bottles, new uniforms, new running shoes and an abundance of excitement.

No comments: