Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Getting to know Jayanagar
I took me 2 years to realize that Jayanagar is fairly close to where we live. I went to Kalaniketan Sarees with my SIL last week and purchased a "net" sari, probably a completely unnecessary purchase but one I justified because I have two upcoming weddings and it was 40% off, who can resist a bargain. Three other women were eyeing the sari and were waiting for me to drop it. As I was walking out, this women was trying on a similar sari and I commented that it was lovely and she said, "but it's not as nice as yours". Now how could I not buy it !?! A net sari requires a satin petticoat and satin lining for the blouse, not something that can be found just anywhere. I googled satin petticoats in Jayanagar, found a store which didn't carry them but they were helpful in suggesting some places. In 1 hour I reached Jayangar, found a matching satin petticoat, lining, fall and lining for Sindhu's new silk langa and blouse which she will undoubtedly either wear for 1 hour and complain that it's uncomfortable and find a way to take it off or will grumble about it throughout the wedding. Fully knowing this, I still spent a small fortune on it as my SIL told me that it is the "rage" in the US and all the little girls are wearing these ornate silk pavadas. Anyway, if you need something special on the matching center front and don't want to go all the way to Commercial street, check out, "Indar Cut Pieces" on 10th main in 4th block, you can google it. Apparently, Virat Textiles and Dinesh Cloth are two other options in 4th block but I didn't need to check them out. I also found this excellent steel shop around the corner and purchased small steel containers with plastic lids that can be used for snacks and lunch boxes. The plastic lids solve the problem of removing the tight steel lids on the tiffin boxes but I was delighted that the containers were steel, let's see if the kids like them. I am a huge steel convert but it's still not easy moving completely away from plastic. I'm also planning on moving to iron skillets and pots after seeing them at Kavita's place but I need to do more research on them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! I would love to see you in your net sari..
I know what you mean in terms of completely moving to iron skillets. We are not yet there - we have non-stick pans that I love making my pancakes and omlettes in.
The girls this summer switched to stainless steel water containers for school.
They have this no waste day at school once a year and boy it was hard.
We could not send juice or milk in cardboard cartons, yogurt and cheese sticks were off limits because of wrappers and containers.
It helped us think through what we could do on a sustainable level though - we packed pasta and fruit and cubed cheese for lunch that day.
Post a Comment