Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Quest for a tailor
My mother and I wanted to get a pavada stitched for my brother's daughter Ahisha. After wondering around Commercial Street, one sari shop owner put us out of our misery and informed us that Nalli's is probably the best place to get pavada material and he was right. Our next quest was to find a tailor. Although I did find one a few weeks back on Commercial Street, I was in no mood to go back there and also it's quite a bit of a drive to pick up the items again. So we decided to search for a tailor in Koramangala. Usually in the past, I had a relative that would guide us in this area but my mother and I decided to find one near the hotel. My mother and I decided to venture the small streets behind our hotel. It was my first experience of wandering about without a driver and into the local community. In a small stretch of a 1 km, I found 5 tailors, I was quite surprised. Ofcourse the first 4 refused me but the last tailor took pity and agreed to get the pavada stitched by the next day. Of course when I arrived there, she had not even started and I had to pick up the item that day. So I went back 2 hours later and she was still stitching the item and I had to wait a whole hour till she was done. The tailor shop was run by an older couple. The husband spoke English but his wife only spoke Kannada making it a big difficult for us to communicate. They had 2 daughters and the father proudly said that his daughter was getting her computer programming degree via correspondence. He really wanted his two daughters to succeed and was doing whatever he could within his means. Anyway, the whole experience was fun but when I gave him more items to stitch later on, he was so delayed in getting them and we were moving to our house so I took the items back so I can get the stitched at a tailor shop near our new home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment