The other day, Prasad mentionnned that there is a curfew for women working at IT companies and that women must leave the workplace by 7pm. At his company, someone from security makes an announcement at 7pm as a reminder that the women should leave. Apparently, this was imposed due to an incident that happened to a woman a few years ago at an IT company. This is a really big deal and companies can be in violation if they don't adhere to the rules. Call centers and tech support centers make exceptions due to the nature of their business but they are required to make proper transport arrangements for the women when they take the night shifts.
In general, security of women is a big topic in Bangalore. There is an article related to this topic at least once or twice and week. Just yesterday, they were discussing whether Bangalore was any less safer for women than any of the other big cities in the India especially for women working at BPOs (I believe call centers)
I read an article in the newspaper the other day that a government group was recommending that all cameras and video capabilities on cell phones in India be banned to protect the security of women.
Today the big headline in Bangalore is that they will allow women bartenders to practice their skills. Until now, apparently, women were not allowed to bartend. Ofcourse, the biggest concern was that the bar should provide good security for the women. This topic was discussed over two pages in the newspaper.
I remember one day, coming back from the tailor shop at 8PM and walking back to my hotel. The tailor shop was located in the back streets in a quite a well lit area with lots of other shops. Once it got dark, there were hardly any women about and to be honest, I felt very uncomfortable because there so many men roaming the streets and the whole atmosphere of the area changed during my one hour wait at the tailor shop. I really didn't feel safe and just kept my head down and kept walking.
A non-security related women topic, but I went for a tax information session and found out that women are taxed less then men up to a certain salary and then women are taxed the same. I was pleasantly surprised to see this and asked the consultant why this was and she had no idea...
And apparently, women bartenders can possibly make double the amount of money as a male one, surprising, surprising!
No comments:
Post a Comment