Sunday, August 31, 2008

Worms in the food?

Rushil had an asthma attack last week and stayed at home for 2 days. We went to see a doctor for Rushil's asthma and at his office, he had an article about how 90% of the children in Karnataka were anemic. I asked him why and he said that over 60% of the Indian population does not use toilets. Because of this, worms collect in the farm land and they lay eggs. The farm produce has quite a few worms and no matter how much washing we do, it's not sufficient and often we end up with worms in our stomach and therefore become anemic. Hence they recommend that everyone take de-worming medicine every 6 months to avoid become anemic and having other problems.... When I found about this, I told Prasad that if I knew about this before, I'm not sure I would have moved... just kidding :-) Another interesting point is that India has the higest rate in the world of people that don't use toilets even higher than Pakistan and Bangladesh. I was talking to an environmental friend of mine here in India and it seems it is a cultural issue in the rural areas. Many of them would prefer to defecate outside than use toilets as they find it difficult to maintain the toilets and find this is a cleaner option for them so it's difficult to convince them otherwise.

Going back to Rushil, we need to get him a nebulizer as the inhaler he had was not sufficient. I ended up purchasing one since I needed to buy all the tubing anyway, as I was not very confident that the nebulizer equipment the dr's offices had were very clean. Even the doctor recommended I buy a kit and use it whenever I needed to and dispose of it every month or so just so I don't need to worry about any bacteria collecting in it.

No comments: