Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Move into our new home

We moved to our new home about 1.5 weeks back, we're quite settled in and it seems like we moved in a few months ago. We're not unpacked fully but since my Oct 15th deadline (going back to work) is creeping up quickly, I'll have to be unpacked by then. We found a maid, a cook, a gardener so we're fully staffed now ;-) Kids catch a bus at the gate which is a very short walk from our house and Rushil has plenty of space to ride his bike in the compound. There is a clubhouse which has a pool, park and tennis courts. Many kids convene at the park in the evenings. The kids have made a couple of friends in the neighborhood. Our shipment from the US has arrived in very good condition. The rooms are large in the house so our furniture fit in quite well. We have a lot of windows though (the house is very bright) so I've spent quite some time getting curtains. I'm not sure if folks remember our dining room chairs, but they are a bright cream colour and only after 2 weeks, we already have food stains on them, luckily I found an upholsterer so I'm getting covers made for the chairs. After the first 2 nights , Prasad had to go to the US, so I was on my own with the kids. Initially I was scared but the place feels quite safe since it is a gated community so we all did fine. There is a lot of construction in the area as new houses are getting built every day and typically it takes a least a year for a house to be built. At least one set of contruction workers stay on site, intially I was a bit worried about this but I think it actually works in our favor since someone is always overlooking the house. They are very curious and always know who is entering and leaving the house.

This community has many NRIs but mostly folks that have moved back from the US. There are a few foreign expats but they mostly keep to themselves. It has a nice mix of a crowd and therefore still feels like you're in India but probably a more affluent one. Most of the kids from the Sindhu and Rushil's school live in Whitefield mainly in Palm Meadows or Prestige Ozone communities so playdates with friends from school is not easily possible so they will have to make friends in the neighborhood (the pitfalls of not going to public school :-))

No comments: