Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pest Control

My friend Raji has prompted me to blog more often and especially about some of the incidents we've experienced at our new home.

First off, day 1, we had ants. These tiny ants but boy are they pesky. They were getting into everything. I called a pest control company and they said they can give a herbal spray which I can use whenever I see ants. When I asked them what was in the spray, they had no idea but assured me it was herbal. I decided to give it a try and the ants are gone for now. When the man was spraying in my kitchen and I was moving all the items, he said "m'am, it's herbal, don't worry " He didn't even know what was in the spray, how can I believe him? I'm just waiting to try out the herbal cockroach remedy which I'm sure I'll have to use sometime during my stay here :-)

A few days after we arrived into our home, our porch lights and doorbell stop working. After pestering the electrician for a few days, he finally arrived and told me that rats ate the electrical wiring and it had to be replaced!! Our bathroom is located in the same area where the electrical wiring is located. One day later, my maid found a decapitated rat on the bathroom floor!! I freaked out and sent an email to the landlord asking him to close off all passages for rats to get into my house, I'm sure he thought I was a fool but he did agree to look into it. I guess the positive aspect to this is that the maid had no problem cleaning up the bathroom and removing the rat and I'm extremely grateful for this... To be honest, every time I walk into the bathroom, I'm a bit scared of what I will find in there...

Everyone has seen lizards on the walls in most people's home in India. I'm a little freaked out over them but have accepted that lizards will be in the home, the kids get excited when they see them. So the other day I see small lizard on the wall and thought I would ask the driver if he can somehow remove and put it outside. The driver came in and was successful in pushing the lizard outside and the kids were there and there was a lot of excitement in the house. He however told me that lizards are very poisonous and if they contaminate the food or water, it is certain death. The maid also qualified this. So I did a quick google and it seems the household gecko is harmless and if anything it eats bugs and keeps the number of pests down, maybe I should invite the geckos to our house to keep the mosquitos down because Sindhu found out about malaria and is paranoid if she gets one bite.

No comments: