This weekend I read Chetan Bhagat's "one night @ the call center". Chetan Bhagat you may recall is an IIT/IIM graduate who wrote his first book on his experiences at IIT, I didn't read that one. He is the biggest all-time English Indian . A movie based on the call center book was just released this week. He has authored three books. The call center one is a very easy read, can be finished in one day. It was however somewhat of an eye opener for me. He seemed to be quite a American basheror at least the characters in the novel did not like Americans. They portrayed Americans in a bad light (unintelligent fools) . I wasn't sure if this is the general opinion of Indians or just call center workers :-) Throughout the book he took potshots Americans but at the same time, the characters were envious of the Americans. I'm curious to see the movie now mainly to see if Americans are portrayed in the same way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the rest of the world has a similar opinion, they seem to hate America but at the same time are awestruck by Americans.
On a side note, I was telling Prasad, that it would have been fun to work at a call center as my first job. He looked at me like I was crazy but why not? You hang out with young twenty-somethings, they all travel together to and from work, and they socialize outside of the office. Although the work may be mundane,the pay is apparently quite good.
No comments:
Post a Comment