Not too much of an eventful day since we had a half day orientation session. There were quite a few things that were new for me and quite different from the benefits received in the US. Another colleague of mine was joining on the same day so we hit it off right away. It turns out that she also moved from California, she has 3 daughters, one of which is 8!! and she lives in the same gated community as we do!!! How's that for a coincidence. Anyway, we're already planning to have our kids meet, have them play tennis together and we can carpool. I also met another woman at the orientation, she just moved from Mumbai and she is a producer! She was working for MTV back in Mumbai and joined the video team, it was nice to meet someone from the non-techie world.
The office building is very nice, it's like being the US but even hipper. There are always folks sitting in the hallways chatting about something or another, seems somewhat more relaxed of an atmosphere. There are a lot of young people. I ran into quite a few folks I knew so that made me feel at home. The women mainly wore Western clothing which kind of bummed me out as I think I'll be the odd one out if I wear Indian clothing, what's with that ?!?
In the afternoon I met with my manager. She is quite friendly and we got off to a good start. The best part of the day was that I got driven to and from work and I actually read my novel during the car ride, how's that for relaxing! The only issue is that my driver has BO and I'm not sure how to handle this. We do need to do something about it since it can be nauseating since we're stuck in the same vehicle for extended periods of time and other than that, he's reliable and his driving is fine so far. He just started a week back and he's ultra quiet and hard to read so it makes it more difficult to communicate this uncomfortable feedback, I'll let Prasad handle it. :-)
Overall it was a good day, I got home a little later than I hoped to. Sindhu was all upset when I got home since she wanted to invite a friend over and she was chased away by their dog, she almost slammed her fingers while closing their gate and she lost track of Rushil and it started to rain. Poor thing was very stressed when she got home and she was relieved to see Rushil safely at home. She has developed more of a sense of responsiblity towards Rushil than she ever had in the US, it's amazing to see the change in her. The maid was also worried as she wasn't sure if she should allow the kids out. The cook wasn't quite sure what to cook, I forgot to inform him so I do need to get a better handle on things tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment