Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A more direct conversation

As per my previous post, Prasad's indirect, subtle approach did not work with the driver. Yesterday, Prasad laid it out. The driver immediately said that he showered every day and that he was clean but that he didn't use any cologne or powder. I would have just died, I really could not have given this kind of feedback to anyone, I have a hard enough time giving my team members feedback about their work, forget about personal hygiene. Anyway, Vijay took it well and did not seem to take offense, let's hope he doesn't quit. Today, the only smell in the car was the scent of a new car.

Prasad and I carpool back and forth everyday. Since our home is quite close to office, this has worked out really well. We leave shortly after Sindhu and Rushil get on their schoolbus and we leave our offices shortly after they get home from school. Since we have a cook and a maid, our evenings are actually quite sane as compared to San Jose where we were juggling cooking, cleaning and making sure their homework is done. Now my main focus is their homework.

Next week is Diwali and the kids have the week off from school. Prasad and I are also taking the week off and we're going to Agra, Jaipur and Ranthambore. Sindhu is very excited to see the Taj Mahal, the rest of the places, she can't quite identify with yet. Her interest was piqued though when she heard that Jaipur is referred to as the "Pink City". My office is distributing sweets to all the employees for Diwali and they are also organizing a potluck at the office. This is apparently the norm in India, they also gave us the option to donate the box to school children which I thought was a great idea. They specified that everyone should come in "ethnic" attire, I am often puzzled when that word is used here. Why is Indian clothing referred to as "ethnic", shouldn't western clothing be referred to that?

No comments: