Friday, February 19, 2010

Sindhura's Leadership Camp

Sindhu went on the 5th grade leadership camp for 2 nights and 3 days and just got back today. She was initially apprehensive about being away for 2 nights mainly because she is not a good sleeper and envisioned herself lying awake all night. As the day got closer, she became more and more excited and spent a couple of days packing for the trip. They had an amazing time! The campsite was in Yellagiri, Tamilnadu which is about a 3-4 hour drive from their school. When I called her both evenings, she was having so much fun, she didn't speak to us for more than a minute.

Some of the highlights of the trip:

1) She was worried she would be placed with someone she didn't know very well but fortunately, they got to choose their roomies so she slept in the same tent with 3 of her best school friends, Nisha, Sarah and Mahima.

2) They made soup with vegetables, turmeric and chilli powder. Sindhu said she didn't really like the soup but she would make it for us. Apparently breakfast was the best meal of each day and the curries at lunch and dinner were too spicy so she ate plain chappatis.

3) They went on a 8 hour hiking trip, they were all exhausted that night and slept much better the 2nd night.

4) The bathrooms were clean so they were able to take a shower.

5) They had a big bonfire and roasted marshmallows their last night.

It was definitely not a "girl scout" kind of camping trip. They had people that pitched the tents for them, carried some of the luggage and cooked all their meals. I was one of the first parents to arrive for the pick up so all the other girls were still around and they were just bursting to tell me what happened at the camp. Sindhu said this year's trip was far better mainly because the activities were more fun, and she was more comfortable with her friends. Rushil missed Sindhu, the first night he insisted on speaking to her, the next day, he wanted me to call her before he left for school so he could to talk her and yesterday when I asked him if he missed her, he claimed he didn't and I said, I'm sure you're missing her a little bit and he said, ok but then added, "only a very little bit". Although we missed her a lot, it was so quiet without her, I'm glad she went, it was a wonderful experience for her.

1 comment:

Shailaja said...

Wow....I cannot imagine sending my kids away for anything yet. That is great for her.