Sunday, April 25, 2010

Who says they aren't enough mangoes?!?

Sindhuras (you can imagine how thrilled Sindhu was that she shares the same name)

Raspuris


Bamboo watch tower which provides much needed shade and a good view of the grove


View of the grove from the bamboo tower.


Collecting the cocoons from the tray. After a few days they boil the cocoons in hot water, the worms die and the silk threads are separated and given to the silk fabric factories.


Silk worms getting fattened up with mulberry leaves and forming cocoons on the trays


We took a lovely drive to a mango grove today to see some properties. We brought home various types of mangoes right off the trees: totapuris, raspuris and sindhuras and they were delicious I might add. The trees were full of mangoes, apparently each tree can yield 1000 mangoes.  The property was near Ramnagar which is the silk city of Karnataka so as a bonus we stopped for a few minutes to see how silk is made. It was a stark reminder of  the cruelty to the worms.  Sindhu brought home a cocoon and she's planning to release the butterfly when it's ready to come out.  It was great to get out of the city and visit some of the small villages in Karnataka, we should do this more often.

2 comments:

Maith said...

Sob! I miss mangoes - So intensely at times! Especially totapuris!

Enjoy! Eat some ImamPasand on my behalf!

Teju said...

wow.. tell Sindhu - I will always think of her when I think of mangoes. She is just as sweet.

Silk worm pictures are cool.

I cannot tell you how much I live through your stories.