Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Gifts of Wali Dad

Our complex had a cultural show, dinner and dance to celebrate Diwali. I organized a children's play, "The Gifts of Wali Dad" for the event and Sindhu and Rushil participated in it. Sindhu played the part of Wali Dad and Rushil was one of the narrators.  It was heart warming to see how well all the children performed, they even helped each other on the stage for cues and with the microphones. I was so proud of them. It was a little nerve wrecking, Rushil and one other girl were sick with the flu but they both still did a great job and enjoyed the event.  The script was taken from this website which by the way has numerous other wonderful children's scripts with stories adopted from all over the world. I remember the Ashtakalas, family friends of ours from Montreal that used to write and direct the children's plays we performed for our annual Ugadi cultural show, I can now appreciate how much work it was but also how much fun it was too. The best part was that all the children were friends and most attended the same school so they all participated with enthusiasm.  I definitely would love to do this again, it was a great experience for the children and me. Here are some pictures, their costumes were very cute too.


You can see the play  at this link and pictures are below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vu7o5SAFQ0



 Samarjit - narrator, Rushil - narrator,  Ayan - narrator, Avantika - peri, Anika - servant, Nisha -merchant, Riya - queen, Neha - narrator and Sindhu - Wali Dad

 Check out Nisha and Sindhu's dhotis tied by one of the grandfathers at our complex.


 Narrators on the right and Merchant and Wali Dad on the left.

 Rushil and his buddies (Ayan,  Rushil, Samarjit and Ashu)

 Me and some of the moms

There is a story related to the net sari I'm wearing. We tried to iron it in Hyderabad before one of the wedding events and it tore!! I was so upset...  Anyway, I took it to a tailor who specializes in darning and he fixed it right up and you can't even see the tear now. I was sure it was not salvageable but I was wrong.

4 comments:

Raji P. said...

Congratulations! looks like an amazing success. The costumes are great.

Teju said...

Wow!! you are amazing. I cannot just fathom how much you manage to pack into your days.

I will check out the site for sure - seem like really fun plays.

Nina and Anika's school uses scripts from Bad Wolfe Press which are also quite cute and funny.

Shailaja said...

I like th sari and you were so generous in saying that we tried to iron the sari :) instead of my silly sister ironed and made a hole in the sari.

Shailaja said...

I like th sari and you were so generous in saying that we tried to iron the sari :) instead of my silly sister ironed and made a hole in the sari.