Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Tidbits

Since Sindhu is so into Harry Potter and her birthday is around the corner, we went to see the film over the weekend. I haven't read all the books and haven't seen all the movies to completion and was a bit lost but Sindhu filled me in. She hasn't read the last book so even she didn't know what would happen.  After the movie was over, I was telling Prasad that maybe I should have bought tickets to see another movie. He was thinking the same thing except he thought it was ok to leave the kids in the theatre by themselves :-) The movie was a bit scary, I don't think they could have sat there by themselves  even if we removed the safety factor.

We hosted a cocktail party at our house on Friday and one of our friends brought their karaoke mikes so after a few drinks and snacks, we settled in for some karoake. Sindhu and her friend even sang an old Hindi song, there were a  few English songs on their list but they were very old songs so she didn't recognize them. Prasad was totally into it and belted out quite a few songs. We ordered some snacks, I had never tried before. Sabudana vadas with mint and yoghut chutney, they were a big hit  and apparently quite authentic too. They had other items on the menu like sabudana khichidi and vada pav which I did get to taste at the mall when we went to see HP. I will definitely go back to this place, it's always great to discover something new. I liked the casualness of a cocktail party, the snacks are on the table, the kids are playing with their friends,  and there is no big dinner affair, it actually makes for a more relaxing evening and a lot less stressful. Maybe we'll do these more often.

Sindhu's exams start on November 29th on her birthday. We'll celebrate her birthday after her exams are over.  The next 2 weeks will be hairy, there will be quite a bit of tension in the house :-)  But soon after that we'll go to Thailand for a few days  and all will be forgotten.

1 comment:

Teju said...

It is a good heads up regarding the movie. Nina and Anika have read all the books and desperately want to go. I have said no to Anika but waffling in Nina's case.

I so miss having you in my life on a regular basis - I have not had cocktails with anyone in such a long time. We have become wine drinkers now :)

On that note though - I am trying out a number of different combinations that I had not had before - Merlot/Zin,
Tempranillo wines from Spain, Malbecs from Argentina, my perennial favorite Shiraz wines (Australia and South Africa)and Carmenere from Chile.

I have not had a pinot, cabernet in over a year because these new mixtures seem to pair well with the foods we make at home.

I would love to say we belong to a fancy wine club but all our choices are from our local Costco - I speak to so many different people [shoppers like us] at Costco and get their opinions on wines and end up trying different wineries

The latest one we like is Mollydooker [the boxer, and two left feet]