Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nine Faces of Being

A friend and I went to see "Nine Faces of Being", a play based on the novel, "Mistress"  by Anita Nair. Coincidentally,  I  was reading the book when I saw the advertisement for the play and although I didn't particularly like the book, it's rare that a book I've read is adapted into a play so I took a gamble. It was showing at Jagriti Theater in Whitefield which could not be any more convenient, we've been trekking to Chowdiah Memorial Hall which at times can be more than 1.5 hours away.  And lucky us,  Anita Nair, who is the playwright was at the theater that day.

The essence of the book was well captured in the play and the Kathakali related portions blended nicely into the story. Among the main characters, Chris and Radha were not suitably casted. Either they needed a younger looking Radha or an older Chris, they looked so incompatible and the young man playing Chris was one of the weaker actors so the scenes between Radha and him were very awkward and not believable. The other actors  were excellent and performed spendidly.

I'm now reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts which requires quite a commitment of time,  I've hardly made a dent  in it after reading it for couple of weeks. I'm enjoying it though, it's well written.

1 comment:

Teju said...

I should look into this play if it comes to Chicago.

I started reading Shantaram last summer when I picked up the book in India and then forgot all about it - I should pick it up and read it again.

It is just such a fat book that it is inconvenient to carry on the train [makes my backpack heavy]

On that note - I am reading six suspects by Vikas Swaroop. The slumdog millionaire guy.