Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Daily Dose of Fresh Air

School is given the utmost of importance however, I was surprised to see the number of children that are out playing every evening. I supppose they do their homework before and after their playtime but the playtime is not compromised. Boys typically play cricket, basketball, soccer or ride their bikes and the girls jump rope, rollerblade, play hide n seek or most of them time I see them standing at a corner chatting away. Whatever the case may be they are out between 5-7pm, getting fresh air every day. We were fortunate to have great neighbors in the US for about year before we moved here and the first summer, their kids and our kids used to play together every day, it was great but is certainly not the norm. The concept of everyone convening in one place with no prior arrangement and planning, simply makes it easier on everyone and allows them to find creative ways to fill their time. It also forces the parents to get out and either walk or just chat with the other apartment dwellers. Although Sindhu would claim to move to the US in a heartbeat, I bet she'll miss this tremendously when we go back.

No comments: