Monday, January 25, 2010

Republic day and Movie Talk

Today's India is celebrating it's 60th anniversary of Republic Day. I don't remember where we were last year on this day. This year, our complex had a flag hoisting ceremony and the children sang patriotic songs. The children then made 50-70 mud seed balls each which would be taken to a forest to plant. At least Rushil and Sindhu now have some awareness even though I had to drag everyone downstairs to participate :-)

On to mindless chatter about movies.

We've seen quite a few movies in the last couple of weeks.

1) Avatar - We saw it in 3D and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. During the first half, I was sitting next to my cousin and at the intermission, I was so lost in the movie, I forgot where I was. During the 2nd half, I sat next to the kids and was disturbed every 10 minutes, Rushil drank Sindhu's juice and she made sure everyone in the audience knew about it, Rushil dropped his popcorn and cried, Prasad felt the need to share his coke every 10 minutes, I wished I sat next to my cousin in the 2nd half too :-) It was a long time we had seen a movie in a theater and this movie was definitely worth it!!

2) 3 Idiots - Entertaining movie. Definitely worth a look. Aamir carried the movie, most of the other actors were probably replaceable especially Kareena who was miscasted in my opinion. I don't get why she is the highest earning Indian actress at all.

3) Wake up Sid - Loved the movie! Konkana Sen and Ranbir Kapoor did a great job in the movie. I was already a fan of Konkana's but now I like Ranbir too. Enjoyed Rocket Singh too. In Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Ranbir did fine but I'm not a fan of Katrina Kaif so didn't really like the movie.

4) Paa - Touching movie, finally a movie that showcased Vidya Balan's talent and beauty. Abhishek acted well but I guess the shining star was Big B, it was a bit awkward to see a 12 year old be that tall though. The only negative was they only provided limited education on the disease, they had a good opportunity to bring it more into the limelight which they didn't capitalize on.

5) A couple of months back, we saw Love Aaj Kal - Good movie, a little different from the rest, I liked the vibrant kurtis that Deepika Padukone wore,. She's likeable, I'm sure she'll do well. Dil Bole Hadippa - Rushil was inspired by Shahid and tried to imitate the way he bowled in the movie. Rani Mukherjee looked fantastic, I felt bad for her that the movie flopped, you could tell she put her heart into it. Not sure why she's not getting good roles, the Indian movie industry is harsh on 30+ year old women regardless of how talented they are.

6) Time Travelor's Wife, I've been waiting for that movie, I read the book many years ago and the movie did not disappoint although it was a bit sad. We saw "New York I love you". It's an interesting concept, different parts of the movie were directed by different people including Mira Nair, some scenes connected and some not. I didn't enjoy the movie as I didn't see a point to it and wouldn't recommend it even on video. "Up in the Air", I'm a Clooney fan so liked it but the ending was weak.

Yes, we've been on a roll and we have more in the pipeline. I probably should get back to reading.

So Brangelina broke up! I guess it's not too surprising but not sure why they were having kid after kid with a failing relationship. I hope he gets back with Jennifer, she seems to be mess without him.

3 comments:

Raji P. said...

How do you watch all these Hindi movies if you don't understand Hindi? or do you by now? :) I wanted to see 3 Idiots but Ravi refused to spend 5 hours on it (3 hours movie + 1 hour commute each way to the 1 theatre showing it).

Mythili said...

We watch them with subtitles or Prasad translates for us. I do however understand more Hindi and nowadays there is a lot of English mixed in so it's easier to understand. You should get a DVD copy of the 3 Idiots, we don't watch too many movies in the theatres unless it's Avatar or something well worth it.

Teju said...

wow this is a good list. I will check out some of these movies on Netflix when I have some time.

I know what you mean. We had Nina and Anika participate in the flag hoisting ceremony at Madhav's apt complex in August for Independence day. The kids liked it and Nina got to sing Jana Gana Mana. Anika was busy taking picture of others.