Friday, May 7, 2010

The Sad Side of School

The PUC results were out yesterdy and the newspapers were filled with stories of the toppers and their backgrounds. The successes of the lower income students were highlighted with pride. Today's newspapers reflect the grim side of the school system in India. Nine students in Karnataka committed suicide after finding out they failed some of their subjects. It's disheartening to read these stories, I don't want to see their faces or read their stories and yet I do. Noone discusses what the state or country is going to do about preventing these tragedies, it's almost as if it's an accepted part of life. Are the schools or parents putting so much pressure on the students that they feel there is no other option?  Suicide is so prevalent in India and it doesn't seem to be related to a long history of depression but more of an "accepted" out when things don't go as planned especially when related to school.  Maybe I'm wrong and the suicide rate is the same as anywhere else but  I suspect there is a cultural element that needs to be changed.

No comments: