Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Yet another oh so successful train ride

We attempted yet another eventful train journey to Hyderabad.  Since we were going with Prasad's brother and family, we thought it would be a fun experience.  I guess in retrospect, it wasn't so bad BUT....   My SIL was commenting on how she saw a rat on the Bombay to Hyderabad train ride and how disgusting it was  when at that very moment, she thought she saw a rat on our train. I immediately pulled my legs onto the seat and Rushil jumped into my lap.  Prasad and my SIL saw that tiny rat several times race through our train car, although I actually never saw the rodent myself.  We called the conductor to see if he could do anything since it seemed to be hovering mainly in our train car. He showed up with a broomstick and half-heartedly tried to catch it knowing fully well he wouldn't be able to. He laughed it off saying it's gone and assured us that it wouldn't be able to climb up onto our seats because you know that's what I'm worried about now. Rushil refused to sleep in his bunk so we had to share one. The drama is still not over. My SIL left her diaper bag on the ground and the top of the bag lined up to the bed. As my SIL and I were about to fall sleep, my BIL's eyes go really wide and he suddenly jumps up and pulls the diaper bag away. The rat climbed the bag and was about to jump onto my SIL's bed! We put our pillows on the other side of the bunk so that at least the rat wouldn't climb on our head. The fans were on and it was freezing cold on that side of the bed so after a few hours, I gave up and moved the pillows back to the other side and got a few hours of sleep in very cramped quarters.  Fortunately noone had to poop on the train because seriously that would have been a whole other nightmare, which ofcourse Prasad would have had to deal  with, I certainly wasn't going to enter the bathroom.  So that was our experience, again another wonderful train experience which we are going to attempt again in October for my cousin's wedding :-)

3 comments:

Raji P. said...

ROTFL!!! Leave it to you, Myli, to spend 2 years in India and not venture into a train loo!! that story is hilarious! Don't you have to get back to Bangalore by train too? :)

Mythili said...

We flew back so no new adventures to report.

Teju said...

I have to agree with Raji. Madhav and I laughed as we read this post together. You have the amazing knack of writing so people can actually visualize the experience.

It totally made our day..

It might make us rethink our India train trip with the kids plan for sure.