Friday, September 3, 2010

Reading Incentives

Rushil's friend has a Facebook, gmail and yahoo account. Now why a 7 year old needs all those accounts I don't know, but Rushil started bugging us about getting him an account.  FB is definitely out, Sindhu doesn't have one, so Rushil doesn't get one. I asked Rushil why he needs an email account and he said he could email me, Prasad, Sindhu and that one friend of his that all those accounts. That same friend that is in his class at school, goes on the bus with him every day and then plays with him after school, so what exactly they need to share over email, I have no idea. But it's not easy to convince Rushil, and he was hellbent on getting at least an email account. So, I thought I could use this opportunity to get Rushil to read a couple of novels.  It still took him a  couple of weeks but finally, he finished 2 books and he got his email address. He sent me one email and then begged me to check and sent another nasty one asking me if I was ever going to reply to him. After 2 days, the excitement has wore off because he has only  so much to say to us and he needs to find some friends that have email accounts.  But I got him to read 2 books, now I need to find another incentive for him read.

1 comment:

Teju said...

I really look forward to your posts about Rushil. He already has a multi faceted personality for someone so young and many times his comments are wise beyond his years.

Good incentive to get him to read.