Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Art of Living Experience

In my pursuit of continuous self improvement , I decided to take a basic Art of Living class. I thought it would a light class, I could just zip in and out of but it's actually quite a commitment and the exercises are not that easy to follow. How hard can breathing be? I actually felt cold and light headed after one set of exercises.  After 2 classes, I must say there might be something to all the breathing, yoga and philosophy behind it. I know people that swear by it.  I'm going to continue with the breathing exercises, as painful as they are, even after the class is over and see if it makes me a calmer and more balanced individual. The marketing strategy behind AOL is just incredible, there is a huge following and it increases every day. Just in our area alone,  20 people are taking the class, they have beginner classes every month in probably all the areas of Bangalore, extend that to all the cities in India and to many countries in the world. And, once you're a member, you're always a member, you can attend the free refresher weekend classes all year round anywhere in the world. The long-time members seem to meet socially too. I'm actually curious to go and visit the ashram, it's in Bangalore. If I start quoting from Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, please kick me.

3 comments:

Raji P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raji P. said...

ou need to meet one of Uma's friends. He is a devout, preachy AOL follower that would drive anybody around him crazy with his recruitment speeches. I believe in the power of breathing, meditation etc, but that whole AOL thing is a bit creepy and cultish, at least in the US.

I will not hesitate to kick you if you start quoting!

Teju said...

This girl at Mindcrest in Pune has started morning classes to teach the breathing stuff - tons of folks are seriously into the AOL stuff.

My mother has been after me to get Nina and Anika to do those breathing exercises.

One of these days hopefully...