Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mouth Watering

Thai food is not all about Tom Yum soup, green curry and pad thai. They have a huge variety of snacks and dishes I have never seen or heard of. I love the way they package their snacks, you can buy roadside chilled  slices of pineapple in a clean plastic bag with a toothpick. Even their tender coconuts are chilled.  People are always eating in Thailand, at any shop or restaurant, there is always someone sampling a noodle or rice dish or snacking on fruits.  If you're a non-vegetarian, your options are endless. I wish I took more food pictures in Chiang Mai, they had some interesting snacks I did not see in Phuket or Bangkok.


Meo Tribe market. Check out the packaging.

Can you tell I was impressed with the packaging?


Obsessed to the point, I was taking pictures of her actually doing the packaging. The rest of the world should do this with strawberries, they wouldn't rot so easily.

Read the labels carefully. Ugh!

Food at the night market.

Bird eggs in the baskets. They dip the baskets in the hotsprings to boil them. Bird eggs are a delicacy in Chiang Mai,  they also sell small fried bird egg omelets , wish I got a picture of them.
See how the dishes are on a sliding on a belt . You can pick up any dish you like. We didn't eat there (not enough veg) but I thought it was cool.

Although S&R didn't like the soup, they loved the concept of cooking their own soup at the table. They have a hotpot in the center filled with stock. You can add the noodles, vegetables and spices of your own choice and boil them . I added lots of soya sauce and chill sauce with mine and thought it was pretty good.

Seafood at MBK Mall in Bangkok

More bugs.

Not sure what this was but it was colourful

Yum! They even cut guava and mango slices and you can pick your own spicy non-veg sauce to go along with it and they let you sample the sauces before you buy them. Looked delicious!

1 comment:

Raji P. said...

You foodie you! were you this into food before your grand adventure started?!! Didn't the place stink to the heavens with all that seafood all around?

Love your food angles, but what about *shopping* ?! Waiting to read about that!