Sunday, August 23, 2009

Malleswaram - Shopper's Paradise?

At the last team outing, I had asked a couple of my local Bangalore colleagues where they did their clothes shopping and two of them swore by Malleswaram. On Saturday, my mother and I snuck out to check out this place in North which is a good hour's drive away. When we arrived, I did not expect it to be so crowded. Crowded is an understatement, since it was the day before Ganesh Puja, they were selling puja items along the center of 8th Cross Road and everyone was clamouring to buy all their puja items. A few hours later by 5 pm, the crowds had doubled and my mother and I had to literally push our way out to get to the main street. I must admit, it was very exciting to shop there and I would go back in a heartbeat and am planning to take future visitors if they can brave the crowds. My mother vowed to never go back :-) They have a large selection of stores within a short distance. My mother and I bought a sari for my SIL, some clothes for my nieces/nephews and the Ganesh puja items all in one place and if we had more time, the possibilities were endless.

6 comments:

Raji P. said...

Ah, too bad Maith is not reading your blog these days - she will be thrilled to see you shop in the *real* Bangalore!

Teju said...

Based on your blog - there are so many "must do" items in Bangalore, I am going to have to be there for many weeks :)

I will definitely make it out to Bangalore the next time I am in India.

TK said...

I almost fell out off my chair seeing
Malleswaram and Paradise on the same sentence...guess a lot must have changed in 15+ yrs. Its Iyer central of B'lore if you know what I mean :-)

Mythili said...

You know TK, I agree paradise may not be the right word. I was mentionning how much fun it was to shop there to a friend of mine who is very familiar with Malleswaram and she didn't understand what was so thrilling about it :-) She recommended Jayanagar 4th Block

Maith said...

OK, I have to comment on this one! I'd say for clothes shopping every person has their favourite place - there are a couple of small boutiques in M'waram 17th cross that are very good IMO, 8th cross is really good for things like junk jewellery and household effects, not salwars :-)

But glad you went to the "real Bangalore" :-)

Jayanagar 4th block used to be considered the newbie area when I lived in B'lore, now it is old and established....and so times change...

M (in philosophical mood!)

Mythili said...

Maith,

Will note 17th cross for next time. If you know the names of the stores, please pass it on.