Friday, June 18, 2010

And this is how it works

A fine example of how things work in India.

Our oven was never properly installed or maybe we just didn't know how to use it, who knew you would have to light a flame with a match to get it work !

Day 1: I called a 1800 number, the woman  in Pune gave me a local Bangalore number but diligently took down my name and number and said someone would call me back.  I called the local number a few times but it was busy and gave up that day.

Day 2:  I called at 9AM , the phone was switched off. At 10:55AM,  someone picked up the phone and said the technician would be out today to fix my oven.  I asked at what time, she said he would call  me one hour before he arrived at my place

Day 3:  Ofcourse noone showed so I called again 10 more times. The first 9 times, the phone was "unreachable" in the middle of the day. The woman said the technician was busy yesterday but he will definitely come today but she still couldn't tell me at what time.

Day 4.  This time I was rude. I told her that she ditched me 3 days in a row. The line was cut in the middle of our conversation because I  ran out of money on my cell phone. As I was scrambling to find another phone, she ACTUALLY called me back and said the technician left a bit late but he would definitely come today.

Day 5. I was out having lunch with a friend from Montreal that I had not seen in 15+ years. We connected on FB and found out that we are both living in Bangalore. Anyway during the lunch, I received a call from the technician, he was going to be at our place in 1 hour!  He showed up 2 hours later which was pretty impressive and fixed the oven in one shot.

Now I have to actually enter the kitchen and start baking....

No comments: