Monday, June 21, 2010
Baking session #1 - A Disaster
Well since the oven is fixed, Sindhu has been dying to bake something. We picked up a Pillsbury brownie mix today and gave it a whirl. It took 10 matches to light the oven. I couldn't get the hang of turning the knob and lighting it at the right time. I almost burnt my fingers while I was at it. The mix came with a baking dish of it's own. The dish however looked like it was made of paper and the oven starting smoking after we placed the dish inside. Sindhu pointed out that the instructions clearly mentioned that the dish had to be in the center of the oven. I moved it but then I was concerned that I might burn down the apartment so I placed it in a glass dish, not that it would have prevented the thing from burning anyway. I carefully checked it a zillion times by the standard stick a fork in it but it was left in the oven for too long. It came out looking delicious but the bottom was burnt and after an hour, it was hard as a rock. And believe it or not, I have done this before, but I guess it was too long ago. We're going to try baking a cake tomorrow, wish us luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
LOL!
This is somehow deja vu - why? did we have an escapade with the oven in Fremont once?
Good luck with a real cake, from scratch this time - not from a mix! I am sure it will work better. Is it a real oven like here or one of those table top Indian ovens?
Ravi's comment: high altitude baking ....
It's a sort of a real oven maybe not as sophisticated as the one we had in Fremont. I have had quite a few escapades with ovens... Good point Ravi, I can write it off as high altitude baking.
Funny.. I know life is too busy when I do not get to read your blogs real time.
I just cannot seem to bake no matter what I try - I cannot get a brownie to come out right from a box. The only thing that works for me is Banana bread from Trader Joes.
Good luck!
-Suchitra introduced me to this blog and being from bangalore it
is great to read
Thanks Gerard.
Post a Comment