Here's a very short review of the movies we've seen recently.
After reading Shantaram, I needed a lighter read, so I chose PS I love you. I have not yet seen the movie however the book is such an easy read. It's not the most happiest topic however it ends in an upbeat way and the entire book is not a downer.
Udaan - My favourite of the bunch. Whether you're a fan of Bollywood or not, you should see this movie. It's a very touching movie and a tear jerker so keep some tissues at hand.
Band Baaja Baaraat - Surprisingly a good movie. The newcomer Ranveer Singh is a pleasure to watch and he acts really well. Except for one scene, it's ok for the kids to watch too. If you're a fan of Bollywood movies, you'll probably like this one.
The American - I picked this up because I'm a Clooney fan but I was disappointed. It moves too slowly and I fell asleep watching it.
Going the Distance - This movie was highly recommended by the video guy and later Prasad told me that he also liked it. Sweet movie, I like Justin Long, he's a very natural actor, I remember liking him from "He's Just Not That Into You." See this movie, it's definitely worth watching once.
You will meet a Tall Dark Stranger - Boring movie, not worth watching.
Meet the Parents - Little Fockers - If you liked the other two, you can't go wrong with this one. It's a good way to end the week with some quirky humour.
The Tourist - If you're an Angelina Jolie fan, go see the film. She looked stunning in it although she could put on some weight. My problem with Angelina is that she always acts the same way in all her movies, her ice cold persona gets tiring after awhile. Johnny Depp however was great in this movie!!
No One Killed Jessica - We had high hopes as the reviews were good but I think the movie could have been better. Vidya Balan was deglammed to the point that it was ridiculous and her role was very understated, I was expecting her character to be much stronger. Rani acted well but the script could have been written better, she didn't need to swear so much. It was however nice to see a movie that was carried entirely by two women and without all the Bollywood glam to go with it.
I finally finished Shantaram, it took me almost a month to complete but it felt like an achievement after I was done. Rushil being the non-reader that he is was extremely impressed that I could get through a 900 page book. The book is well written although it's hard to read in one stretch. It's interesting how a foreigner could move to India and embrace the country the way he did. He experienced and was exposed to more of Mumbai then most people from Mumbai probably were. If the Oprah show was still around, she may have reviewed it in her book club, it's a book she would have liked.
After reading Shantaram, I needed a lighter read, so I chose PS I love you. I have not yet seen the movie however the book is such an easy read. It's not the most happiest topic however it ends in an upbeat way and the entire book is not a downer.
My last review is on Tiger Hills by Sarita Mandana. This book takes place in Coorg which is what I found most fascinating and an interesting perspective on the culture in that area. The book dragged on a bit at the end.
More reviews to come, I'm on a movie watching and book reading spree.
2 comments:
Love your reviews. Udaan is on my list as well - I will add some of the others.
we also ordered The American - Madhav watched it but I fell asleep 1/2 hour through the movie.
My list of recent movies
1. Inception - loved the movie
2. I have ordered Social Network - need to watch it though
3. Nina watched you got mail - she enjoyed it.
The two books I am currently reading are both well written
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - Kavita recommended it.
Third World America by Ariana Huffington - easy read, great writer.
I read a number of kid books as well which I enjoyed[on Nina and Anika's reading list] - Conch bearer by Chitra Divakaruni - she is growing on me now - she has matured as a writer since arranged marriage, Out of mind was a thought provoking book, Hachiko Waits which is a simple but good read.
Anika is totally into the secret series - thanks to your recommendation - she read all three that I bought for her and is waiting for me to get the fourth book.
I *loved* PS I Love You. Saw it on a girl's movie night out and cried and cried, it was sooo romantic and beautiful. You must see the movie, the actor (whose name I will never remember, but Suchitra will know all the gossip about him) is so adorable.
Post a Comment