Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shopping Spree

My friend has been telling me that I need to have more shopping posts in my blog, I know she was referring to Bangalore but Raji, this is for you.

Surprisingly, many of the souvenir shops in Barcelona were owned or managed by Indians or Pakistanis.The same applies to the cooks and waiters at restaurants.  They all speak fluent Spanish too.  The first day, we were lost and asked for directions and a restaurant host shocked us by speaking to us in Hindi, he didn't look Indian so he took us by surprise.

It is difficult to get anything but Barcelona specific souvenirs, I only saw a few items from the rest of Spain at a couple of stores. Soccer paraphernalia and specifically FCB souvenirs are found everywhere at fairly exorbitant prices. Rushil was easily taken care of, a soccer ball autographed by the Barcelona team made of Pakistani leather which is apparently what all the professional soccer teams use and an FCB baseball cap. The t-shirts were just too expensive There was an FCB match on Sunday, if it was only one day earlier, we would have been able to see a soccer match. I was hoping to see some Nadal specific sports gear but we could not find a single item, soccer, soccer and soccer, that's all the Catalonians are interested in.  For Sindhu we bought, a small Barcelona shoulder bag and a pair of earrings.

I  purchased Porcelain flamenco dancer dolls in Gaudi's mosaic style for my mother and I. Later I found out that the dolls were partially made in China so not really authentically Spanish but lovely nevertheless. I bought them on Les Ramblas but found they were a bit cheaper on Princesa road in Barri Gotic. Barri Gotic turned out to be a better place to shop for souvenirs. The stores were less commercial, they sold more unique pieces and occasionally from other parts of Spain. I picked up one small  pottery serving dish and that ended our shopping spree in Barcelona.


2 comments:

Raji P. said...

Thank you! Much appreciated! :)

Teju said...

The dancers dolls are adorable.

Mythili - I love reading about your Bommalu tradition and I only wish we lived closer to you to enjoy all the unique stuff you pick up.

Do take pictures of the stuff you picked up..