Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pickpocketed in Barcelona!

Prasad and I were reading our guidebook after coming out of a museum. A tall dark haired man with a couple of flyers in his hand asked Prasad if he wanted to buy some tickets. Prasad said no and went back to his book. He persisted and the third time, he even stuck his leg between Prasad's legs to indicate he was selling soccer tickets. Although seriously annoyed, we went back to our guidebook. A woman started to say something to us and others in Spanish and  Prasad's radar went off. He checked his pocket and realized his wallet was missing. He turned around and saw the man standing behind us. Prasad asked for his wallet back and after asking a couple of times, he returned it. It was a bit surreal, it happened so quickly, I didn't even know what was going on. The man then disappeared, the woman was still telling others what happened, Prasad returned to his guidebook and I'm like, hello, can you tell me what exactly happened and are you sure nothing else is missing. Earlier, we had just run out of money so we were fortunate that no money was stolen however a few minutes later we realized that his subway ticket was stolen. What was surprising was the man didn't disappear immediately after stealing the wallet and also that we didn't suspect a thing but a total stranger picked up on it. We were grateful to her and thanked her profusely while still stunned that we came out of it relatively unscathed.

1 comment:

Teju said...

wow! I am glad you guys were ok.

Every one I have met so far who has traveled to Spain who is not a native has had a pickpocket story to tell - isn't that amazing.