Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Poor Culinary Skills

Yesterday I went to work to catch up with my colleagues. At lunch, someone asked me if the kids are enjoying me being at home and if they are savouring my cooking.  I laughed and said, no not really, cooking is really not my thing. Yesterday evening, I picked up a brownie mix and pizza dough since I felt guilty. Not that using a  brownie mix and pre-made pizza dough is really cooking. I burnt the bottom of the pizza, granted, I was cleaning up and probably left it in there too long. Now I know why people use timers, I have always said, timers, shwimers, who needs them!?!  Today I tried my hand at making brownies, I was little more successful but still the bottom was slightly burnt and the brownies were not as sweet as the ones you get in the US. When S&R are adults, they will probably not have any fond memories of my cooking and not crave anything. I don't know if they'll even let me into their kitchen. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

2 comments:

Teju said...

I am just laughing out loud reading this post.

I have tasted your cooking and loved it so perhaps baking in India is not so easy :)

Ironically, I feel exactly that about myself - my kids say it now [no offense mom but please let Dad or Meena Ajji cook] which makes me move to "other non food related" traditions such as board games and reading out loud..

Raji P. said...

ROTFL!!!!!

That's a great attitude! Esp if you don't have any external pressures to be a super all-rounder which of course includes being a great cook!