Friday, May 15, 2009
Amu
Anyone seen the movie? It is certainly not a typical Bollywood movie, no songs and none of the usual Bollywood drama. Konkana Sen plays the part of an American women in her early twenties who was adopted as a young child and is visiting India to search for her roots. The movie brings to light the genocide that occurred against the Sikhs in 1984 when Indira Gandhi was assassinated. Although painful to watch, the movie was tastefully done without exposing extreme violence or gore and was not overly dramatic. Konkana is a very good actress, she was also fantastic in Mr and Mrs Iyer. She is the first Bollywood actress I have seen that has played the part of an American raised Indian with some level of authenticity, her American accent, her clothing, her mannerisms, her mentality, all believable, it was refreshing to watch. I would recommend this movie but it's probably not a movie everyone would enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've seen it and it was a hard movie to watch, as you said....I remember that time, and remember my grandmother's neighbour having gto flee the city, so not a movie I plan to watch again...Koko seems universally competent in any role she takes on...such a rare trait nowadays!
Post a Comment