Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mangoes, mangoes and more mangoes

Seriously one of the main reasons you all should consider moving here is for the mangoes. You become a mango snob and nothing will compare once you've sampled the best. We've been feasting on Totapuri mangoes sprinkled with salt and chili pepper for the past couple of months, Rushil and I are huge fans of them. Everyone from Andhra will tell you the best mangoes are from that region. Prasad's uncle and aunt are visiting us from Hyderabad and they brought beganapalli and rasalu type of mangoes. We've been eating beganapalli and raspuri mangoes in Bangalore but I have to admit the ones from Andhra are by far sweeter. The rasalu mangoes are a real treat and there is some skill involved in preparing those mangoes so they taste just right. I still don't have the touch but Prasad massages and rolls them until the pulp turns into a liquid form while still in the skin, then you bite of off the tip of the mango and suck out the juice, what a treat! I can now relate when Prasad describes his childhood savouring sweet rasalu mangoes during his summer holidays with his cousins. Our trips to India were always in July or August which is towards the tail end of the mango season so although we ate a few mangoes, we really missed the best part of the season. I want to try Alphonso mangoes but right now, they are triple the price of the other mangoes so we've been holding back but now that we've developed a more sophisticated appreciation for mangoes, I'm ready for them.

4 comments:

Teju said...

Ooh - when you taste Alphonso's rasalu and phedda rasalu's do not even compare.

The other fab ones are langda mangoes from Northern India

My favs
- Alphonsos
- Langdas
- Dasheris
- Rasalus

You have to taste the other flavors.

Another thing you guys should totally do is what Madhav's parents do for us
they make a ton of pulp and freeze the pulp - the pulp lasts anywhere from 3 months to 9 months depending on electricity outages.

Maith said...

OH MAN! Torture on Monday morning!

I ADORE totapuri as well, and miss it so badly....

If you have a chance, try the variety called Imam Pasand - it is very specific to Tamil Nadu, AFAIK - fantastic flavour, I actually prefer it to the Alphonso.

Also love Banganapallis....sigh.

TK said...

Bangapalli is my favorite! the reasons to move are getting more :-)

Mythili said...

TK, I will have to convince Manju when we visit her in Chennai. Wish she came when the weather was not so hot, it's hard to convince someone to move to a country when it's 45+ degrees Celcius outside

Teju/Maith, I hope to try some of the other mangoes you mention one of these days.