Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ayurvedic Experiences

Prasad had been having muscle pains for quite a few years and it got progressively worse in India over the past few months. Allopathic medicines were not helping. Since Ayurveda had really improved Rushil's skin problems, I had suggested that Prasad try it too. He was prescribed a whole set of bitter medicines and two weeks of medicinal massages! Yesterday Prasad complained that the massages made him tired, should I really have any sympathy for him, imagine have a massage every day for two weeks straight? I enjoy ayurvedic massages, I know many folks are a bit weary of them since they are so heavily oil based and but I love the way my skin feels after a massage. I hope the treatment works for him, there are so many ayurvedic centers and it's difficult to know which ones are legitimate and which ones are not, of course it's best to go with references. It's surprising to see how popular Ayurveda is in India but has not really taken off in the US and other countries. This may be partly due to the bitterness of the medicines, how frequently they need to be taken and the sheer number of medicines they prescribe. Often this is coupled with dietary changes which are difficult to adhere to. Because of the massage aspect of Ayurveda, there are far more Ayurveda centers than homeopathy centers and its popularity seems to be increasing.

Before moving to India I was a big fan of homeopathy. In the past, I had taken homeopathy classes and was successfully treated by a homeopathic doctor in California many years ago. That coupled with the fact that my grandfather practiced homeopathy made me partial to it. When we moved to India, we first tried homeopathy for both Sindhu and Rushil but it did not help their eczema at all.

After switching to Ayurveda treatments, their skin has improved significantly. Rushil still has occasional outbreaks but at least we get a decent night of sleep unlike before where he would be up for hours scratching himself. His asthma has improved and I'm not sure what helped, the air filter, the ayurveda medicines, simply getting older, or the weather but I was pleasantly surprised to see the improvement. Sometimes I worry about the ingredients in the medicines and how safe they are. I'll probably get a blood test done for both of them to set my mind at ease but all I can say is that it has changed our lives for the better and I hope its effects last.

2 comments:

Raji P. said...

That is really wonderful news that Ayurveda is working for the children. I hope it continues. Did I tell you about Pranic healing? Ravi's cousins all do it and just swear by it. (unless I am getting the name wrong...)

Mythili said...

I have heard about pranic healing. One of Prasad's cousins swears by it. It involves asanas and breathing techniques and I think Rushil is a bit young for this although the folks at the ashram thought a 1 year old could pick up the techniques. If the ayurveda did not help, we may have tried it and maybe we still will one day.