Monday, September 14, 2009

Hindi

Hindi has been the bane of Sindhu's life for the past year. Early last year, she struggled with the alphabet and matras so I got her a tutor. She didn't like him. He was a young engineering student but was very serious and strict. She would complain incessantly and finally at the end she promised she would be able to manage on her own. Somehow she cruised through the last couple of months without him, I seriously have no idea how she managed. Fast forward to this year. Again I put her in Hindi. She tried to get out of it with Prasad's support but I stood my ground. Of course it helped that Prasad lost his steam and never got around to talking to the teacher to move her to French. So here we are, Sindhu is miserable and struggling as this year she actually needs to put sentences together. She has no idea how to structure a sentence and her vocabulary is pretty much nil. I seriously question why they have to focus so much on reading and writing and so little on the spoken language. Fortunately for us, one of Sindhu's friends found a Hindi teacher in the complex who is sweet and is able to make the subject interesting. As a compromise, Sindhu is attending one class with her friend and one class on her own. After only 3 classes Sindhu feels confident and is able to keep up with the class. Prasad has to sit with her for a few hours each week but I think she is making progress. Next step is to convince her Hindi tutor to focus on speech and then to see if she'll tutor me.

No comments: