Thursday, December 17, 2009
My bus experience
I had my first experience on the bus the other day. I had been avoiding them as most of the buses looked so crowded and I couldn't imagine myself taking one. On the rare occasion when the car wasn't available, I would carpool with someone at work or take an auto. There is a set of buses called Volvo buses which are modern, air conditioned, clean and comfortable. Although they are quite packed during the rush hour period, the buses are similar to the ones I used to take in Montreal. The difference is that here, you can wave down the bus from anywhere and it will stop pretty much anywhere. The bus stops on the main road in front of the company campus and I can get off on the main road near my apartment complex, a bit of a walk but totally doable. When I boarded the bus, I forgot about the conductor and offered the money to the driver who looked at me and grunted something. The bus ride which is about a 15-20 minute ride cost me 10 rupees. This is the price on a Volvo bus, I'm sure the standard bus that is unbelievably crowded all the time is probably half the price. I was worried about when I had to get off the bus as it seems to stop only when you ask the conductor or the driver to stop, you need to get past all the people and get off as the bus is practically moving again. Anyway, all turned out well and it wasn't so bad. The main drawback is that you need to wait for the bus on a very busy street, breathe in all the pollution and then cross the busy street, something I wouldn't want to do on a daily basis but a pretty convenient and green option when the car isn't available.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Major milestone! Amazing how you are able to live there without having to actually breathe the air :) :)
My next post is a little bit about that.
way to go!!
I have tried to take the local train in Mumbai once and you just have to be a local to make it work for you. I have the getting on/off fear in a train in Mumbai.
Hello Guys ! check out the awesome My Title....Thanks..
http://www.deliverathome.com/SHAHNAZ-HUSAIN-PRODUCTS
Post a Comment