Sunday, December 13, 2009

Not cool enough

Rushil was invited to a birthday party of a boy who is turning 5 and is in kindergarten. (Rushil is 6 and in the 1st grade). As we're walking to the clubhouse, Rushil smugly tells me that he'll probably win all the games because he'll be one of the oldest. As soon as he arrives, he takes a quick poll on the ages and grades of the other boys. There were plenty of 1st graders and some of the girls were even older. The funnier part was that many of the 5 year olds were taller than Rushil. (my damn short genes are just too strong) . For now, he is blissfully ignorant that he's one of the shorter ones and maybe if we're lucky Prasad's genes will kick in after a few years. Back to the party, after awhile, he tells the host he wants to go back home. I drop in to pick him up and Rushil tells me all the games are too babyish and there was only one cool game, "tug of war". Rushil had his friend Samar (also in the 1st grade) convinced that the party was lame. After I got there, I persuaded them to join in the activities and soon after they got into it and had a great time. So much attitude and only 6 years old.

This is in such contrast to Sindhu. If I'm running late, she'll pop over to our upstairs neighbor's house with Rushil and entertain their 2 year old daughter until I get home. She has always had no problem engaging with younger children and they usually adore her.

1 comment:

Teju said...

OMG. precocious!! I can totally see the contrast between Rushil and Sindhu