I should be packing but it'll be a short one. Last night, Sindhu told me that I used to wear only western clothing in the US and now I wear Indian clothes all the time and look like an Indian mommy. I looked at her horrified, and said, "Really?!? You don't like it ?" She said, "No, not really" and then laughed and said she was kidding. First of all, should I be offended that I look like an Indian and a mommy, that is what I am, but it was the way she said it that bothered me I think.
I do wear mainly Indian clothes, I don't know how it happened but gradually my wardrobe changed and I can't seem to find western clothing that I want to wear. Western clothing that fits well is expensive because it is imported. I find kurtis very comfortable and I really enjoy shopping for interesting ones that I can wear to work or for special occasions. I would never wear Indian clothing at work back in the US and I shocked a few colleagues that used to know me there and now live here. I'm even bringing a few kurti tops for our trip to Egypt because Indian clothing is designed well to protect against the sun, long sleeves shirts made with light cotton, I always struggled with this in the US. The long sleeved shirts that were available were too warm to wear in the hot sun.
Before we move back, my plan is to buy some material, don't know where to purchase the material yet, maybe commerical street, and get some tailoring done but I need to find a good tailor that can stitch western clothing. I also want to get some kurtis tailored for Sindhu, I have yet to find a good place that sells trendy kurti tops for young girls, Fab India sells a few but the sizing/style doesn't suit Sindhu.
2 comments:
Heh - at least you live in India! My summer wardrobe here consists mostly of kurtis or "tunic tops"!
Tailor: I can recommend Teen Shack - off commercial street - Let me know if you plan to go there, I can give you detailed directions (probably via email)as I don't have an exact address, more of a take-the-second-right kinda thing :-) - he's good, we've used him for years - he does both men's and women's wear, and I even got a blazer made last year.
Another tailor I used to use when I lived there is one of the Rao tailors on Dispensary road, parallel to Comm street - I know which shop, don't know if the tailor is still there - you might try one of the Shankar Rao's - about half-way down the ranks, near the Haryana Handlooms place.
Thanks Maith, will check them out!
Post a Comment