Friday, December 18, 2009

The Real India

As you may have guessed, we really don't experience India or live the way that 80% of the Indians do. We go to work in our air conditioned cars with the air circulating internally to block out the smells and pollution, our offices are nicer than the US ones and have better facilities, we live in gated apartment communities that although have their own challenges are very comfortable, spacious, and have a self contained social network and this is pretty much 80% of our reality. I do occasionally pick up the groceries, go to the local library or go to the tailor and have to walk around the dogs, the garbage on the side of the streets, the dirt and avoid being run over by a car but it's really a small part of my life. Maybe this is why it's easy to live here, if I had to take public transport to work every day, work at a non MNC and live in a non gated community, our whole experience would be different. I can take comfort that we're not living in an expat community where we would be even one more step removed although I suspect we would like it there too. As one friend put it, the moment we walk out of our little bubble that we've created, we're like anyone else and that can be a bit scary and I agree it can be but if we didn't even experience that little bit, we would miss out on all the fun.

1 comment:

Teju said...

well said. However, no matter where we live, we live in a bubble of our own creation I think. I do not think we live like "real Americans" either where median income is $46K and 13-17% Americans live in poverty (they make less than 18K per year).

I do think though that the inequities are far greater in India and much more in your face. It is fascinating to me how slum dwellers in Mumbai live right next door to multi million dollar homes.

In Juhu, where Madhav's parents live, there is so much disparity between one building to another and one block to another it seems like because squatters came over and settled and then the govt built houses for them which the squatters promptly rented out to make money and now take over another space and the cycle starts again..