Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Our Maid has Moved On
Chaitra, our maid that I really liked has left us. After we came back from our US visit, she said she will be moving to where her children are staying and it'll be an 1.5 hour commute to our apartment but will still continue to work at our place. Her children are attending an English medium school and were staying with her sister. If you remember, I was trying to convince her to let us pay for her children's education and at one point she did agree to it but then backed out and enrolled them in an English medium school farther out from the city as it was more affordabe. I was happy that she moved them to an English medium school and didn't push any further. After we came from Hyderabad last weekend, she didn't show up our first day back. When Prasad called, she sounded sick and he understood that she'll be off for a few days. The next day when I called, she said, that her children were sick and there were lots of problems at home and that she wouldn't be able to work at my place. I was really disappointed and initially upset that she didn't give any notice and she didn't even bother to call and this after being with us for a year. I guess I had to move on and find someone elese and I did (the new maid has her own sad story, where does the misery end?!) . Chaitra and her husband came to see us over the weekend, she was dressed nicely and was very friendly and happy. She said that both her children had contracted a severe case of the mumps and the younger one is in the hospital and is slowly recovering. We gave her salary, a little extra money and a sari. She was very touched and cried when she left. She is a good person, I was hoping she would stay on with us until we left, I wonder if I'll ever see her again, I hope so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awww. Don't you just wish you could scoop her whole family and bring them to the US and change their lives forever? I hope you get to see her again, too.
Post a Comment