Sunday, December 12, 2010
Food Court Tips
The food courts in India bring out the worst in me. My blood pressure is up, I'm on edge and ready to pounce on the first person that tries to cut in line. Like every other Indian, I push my way through the crowd to squeeze myself as close to the cashier as possible. I start flashing my money in his face and stake my spot in the line. As I'm ordering the food, 10 people are flashing their money behind me, shoving and pushing me trying to take away that coveted spot. I have to be quick, no dawdling and looking at the menu because my spot will be taken away and believe me, there is nothing more humiliating than that. Once I have the prized receipt, there is a huge crowd to pick up the food. My height is not advantageous but the key is when the dish I've ordered is called, I also yell out the name of the dish and I catch his eye. He'll grab my receipt and quickly serve the other dishes on the receipt and that's when I've tasted victory and there is nothing like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well I am impressed you venture into the food courts. After my brother has seen cockroaches, rats etc there I don't venture there when I go to Bangalore. :)
I used to love kulfi etc when I went back to visit but my family used to tell me some of the hygiene issues, so I try to be very careful. I dont have a v strong stomach.
I also hate pushing/jostling/shoving and Bob helps me with it when I am there. :) You are brave.
LOL! wish I could see you do that!
Suchitra, rats and cockroaches are everywhere and I'm sure in many homes too (not mine though!!) I love kulfi but I typically get it from more reputable places too.
Raji, you can, where are you coming to Blr?
This is a perfect description - you have totally managed to create a visual for me.
Post a Comment