Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We caved in and got her a phone

Sindhu has been begging us for a phone for the past 6+ months. As her birthday got closer, the pleas were more frequent and urgent. All of her friends have one and her last remaining friend without a cell phone will receive one as a Christmas gift. Once her exams were over, there was no stopping her, she talked about nothing else. I have no idea if having a cell phone is common in the US or not  in her age group but it seems to be common here. My issue is not that Sindhu will abuse it and use it at all hours of the night like some of the older children. She will mainly use it for emergencies. I'm concerned about the radiation emitting from the phone and the nagging worry that cell phones can cause cancer. If she hardly uses it, maybe it's ok but I think the usage will only increase as she gets older and the longer we hold off the better. More than the phone, she will likely use the features that it comes with, MP3 player, camera, games, etc.. So there you have it, I guess I no longer need to agonize whether to get one or not, now I need to monitor her usage.

2 comments:

Teju said...

OMG - you make me smile - I have the same concerns as you do regarding phones but I know Sindhu will use it responsibly so you have no worries on that account.

Shailaja said...

Hey I am now worrying about getting a wii for different reasons....the overwhelming reliance on electronic gadgets scares me and I cannot really think why.