Raji told me the other day that Greg Mortenson has been all over the news and there are claims that many of the stories that he wrote in his book were fabricated. I had not heard anything about this. Today I googled him and watched the 60 minutes show which tarnished his reputation and was disappointed and somewhat disillusioned. I remember reading his book a few years ago and was simply inspired probably more than any other book I've read. Not that I did anything about it. The first three quarters of the book was so riveting, I couldn't put it down. I remember being in Chicago and Prasad's relatives wondered how I could be so mesmerized by a book when there were so many people around to chat with. I remember wanting to initiate the "Pennies for Peace" program with Sindhu's Girl Scout troop in California but never got to it due to our move here. I remember reading a part of his 2nd book but it was similar to his first one so I never finished it. I remember being awed by his motivation and passion and felt a bit guilty about how little we contributed our time to non-profit. I remember trying to convince Sindhu to read the Three Cups of Tea version for children. It's to his credit that he can stir enthusiasm in people to contribute to his organization, attend his seminars and book signing meetings. It's sad that he lied and is not able to keep his finances straight, all this shadows the good he has done. This will certain dampen the opportunity for anyone else trying to do something similar in the future and we will all be more wary next time.
1 comment:
I read about it as well and am saddened by it.
Nina actually bought the children's version of the book in 3rd grade, convinced her class to read it and they raised 300 dollars for the effort.
very sad
Post a Comment