Friday, November 21, 2008

Restaurants

Prasad's two uncles, Sadasivam Uncle and Subbaya Uncle were visiting us this week. For dinner on Friday, we wanted to find a vegetarian only restaurant. There are a lot of choices available but mainly South Indian options. The problem with South Indian restaurants is that it's hard to sit back and enjoy the ambiance and decor. The food is very tasty but the whole point of the place is for you to eat quickly and get out of there since there are 10 other people hovering around you waiting for a table. But today, we found a good one, it's called South Indies. They have an interesting concept, you can try food from four regions in South India and the food was tasty, service was great and the decor pretty decent.

Some of the good Darshini style South Indian places we've tried in the recent past: Sri Krishna Cafe and MTR Tiffins, and Gokul Kuteer. Gokul Kuteer was the most upscale with a varied menu but I think the food at the other two places was better.

The other place we really enjoy is Barbeque Nation. They serve skewers of vegetables and meat at your table and you can heat them up on a grill right in front of you. It's fun place to go with a group of people.

Today for lunch, we went to an North Indian restaurant called "The Dhaba". The decor was very interesting, it was like you were sitting in a hut in North India, the food was good and overall a good experience. The topic of eating healthy came up and a few people mentionned how they ghee with all their food, rotis, subjis, etc.. I was quite shocked, with all the health scares, I didn't think people still ate ghee with their food. The people I was with were justifying it saying that ghee is really good for you and the other spices like ginger and garlic offset the fat that the ghee brings in. Also ghee is really good for your skin so it's a necessity during winter and dry months. I guess I digressed a bit, back to the restaurant review.

A few other places we've tried : F&B, they serve many different types of cuisines so it's a nice place to bring the kids and also enjoy a good meal ourselves. La Casa, right near our house and they serve Indian and Asian food. It's nice to have an upscale/hip restaurant right nearby. I tried Adaa Panjabi near Purva Riviera with my office mates last week, very good Punjabi food. I heard about Aapanna (sp?), it's raw mango drink apparently very popular in the North, I'm looking forward to trying it out soon, I wish I had heard of it before our North India trip, but probably raw mangoes were out of season now anyway.

I should add Sindhura and Rushil's favourite restaurants in Bangalore: Dominos, McDonalds and eating hotdogs and milkshakes at Forum Mall. Surprised?!? Probably not.

We're starting to discover some of the restaurants in town, we haven't found too many good ones in our area but we'll be exploring more. Definitely with the diverse population in Bangalore, there are many choices and we just have find the ones we like.

2 comments:

Raji P. said...

mmm makes my mouth water! so with all these new discoveries of fab restaurants, can I assume you don't need your 2 cooks anymore?!! *duck* ;-))

Mythili said...

Heh! I only have one cook...