Ok not quite street side but my stomach survived it! It was at MK Retail, a grocery store that has an outdoor chat counter. The puris were on a cart covered with a plastic sheet just like on the street. The chat vendor made a hole in the puri with his finger, added masala with his fingers and then quickly dipped the puris with his fingers into a big pot of I hope filtered pani. It was delicious! I've had pani puri in the US and I even had it at Palm Meadows a few months ago but I have to admit, it is a bit more thrilling to have it at a corner chat place. I really want to try the street-side jalebi and pakoras but my friend told me they buy used oil from the local restaurants. They are so tempting though and many folks have told me how delicious they are.
We have Friday off as it is May Day so we took an extra day off and we're heading to Ooty early tomorrow morning. Sindhu announced that she doesn't want to go as she will have to miss school, miss two days with her friends and she will miss her favourite breakfast tomorrow, pau bhaji, a little bit of India has finally rubbed off on her. Apparently the continental food at school is not tasty so Sindhu has Indian food every day for lunch, I think she is going to miss India a little bit when we go back. Rushil on the other hand was upset to hear he will miss only two days of school.
I have not been to Ooty since 1989. I have heard it's changed quite a bit. I was just reminiscing about that India trip with a colleague of mine at work today. My sister, Rama and I took at 10 day tour of South India (just a few cities) on our own, we had a such a great time. It was definitely an adventure and I still laugh about some of the funny incidents that happened on that trip.
2 comments:
wah - I want! Pani puri here just doesn't taste the same!
Enjoy Ooty and eat some totapuri mangoes for me! Am really missing B'lore this year!
I have not eaten totapuri mangoes in ages
Enjoy Ooty!!
I love eating Paani Pooris as well but have not eaten them on recent India trips on the street - they all have been as part of catered affairs. There is a Bisleri Paani Puri place somewhere in Pune as well as in Mumbai. Would love to go and check it out.
Post a Comment