The two biggest things happening in India and I'm clueless about both. I was flipping channels this evening and stumbled upon an IPL match (Deccan Chargers vs Bangalore Royal Challengers) and decided to tune in and find out what all the hurrah was about. I only found out today that the matches are occurring in South Africa because of the elections and was confused when the teams had a mix of different races. Prasad patiently explained the very basics to me. It was interesting to see the big turnout in South Africa and even young children were partial to one of the teams. Although I don't understand the rules, the game is pretty fast paced and interesting to watch. I may yet become a cricket fan!
Tomorrow, they are giving us a government recommended paid day off to vote. What will I spend the day doing? I'm planning on reading up on the elections. It seems they are planning for a record turnout this year. I have been seeing many India Lead advertisements by Bollywood stars and others encouraging everyone to vote. Even at work, they had a campaign a couple of months ago encouraging folks to register to vote and later to vote. Although I haven't been reading the newspaper articles, the one thing that stands out here as compared to the US and Canada is that you don't see one leader that is campaigning which makes it very difficult for someone who doesn't follow Indian politics to keep up. There are so many parties and candidates so it is somewhat confusing.
On a lighter note, the rains have started! I don't know if I have ever been so excited to see rain before. Every evening since Sunday, the air has become muggy and you can almost smell the rain. The evenings and mornings are pleasant and there is a cool breeze. It's still hot during the daytime but at least we're getting some relief now. The only drawback is that we used to go for walks and the kids used to play outside in the early evening and now they can't.
No comments:
Post a Comment