


Yesterday was the Musical Evening at S & R's school. It was quite an impressive event, there are some very musically talented children attending the school. Rushil's class sang a song. Somewhere in the middle of the song, Rushil stopped singing. Later when I asked him why, he said he was embarrassed as one of his friends was sitting in the front row and he was distracted. He did however take the opportunity to whisper hello into the microphone before the song started in front of a full audience. To add to that, his best friend's older brother, note OLDER brother praised Rushil not for his singing but that he said hello into the mike. Rushil was of course pleased with himself as there is nothing like getting praised by an older kid. Sindhu was part of the choir and they sang 2 lovely Italian songs, a couple of English songs and a rock song "We will, we will rock you", it was a big hit with the kids. Although Sindhu did sing all the songs, she was turning to the right or left to check out the audience, and never focussed towards the center, you can even this in the pictures :-) Sindhu was very excited about singing in the show and practiced quite a bit at home.
Have you seen the noticeable difference in the colour of Sindhu's uniform as compared to the others? That's her formal uniform and they don't have to wear it during the summers because it's so hot except on special occasions. All 4 of her shirts are this murky colour and I was attributing it to the poor water quality in India but if you look closely, all the other kids have crisp white shirts. Where did I go wrong? I seriously have no idea. Today I spent a good part of the day soaking 2 of the shirts in bleach but they still look murky. Monday is picture day and her teacher warned her that her shirt had to be white. I seriously need help, I asked the maid and she just shrugged her shoulders. The bad part is, that all of her white shirts have become like this. Help!?!
5 comments:
Buy a new shirt for picture day? :-)
Ask the other moms on that school email list? Or would that be embarassing to admit ignorance? if so, see above idea.
or post anonymously on Sawnet LOL!
These pictures are so cute. I love the smiles on both Rushil and Sindhu's faces.
I know what you mean by whites not being completely white - you can have "cotton" vs synthetic mixes cause the difference.
We used old fashioned "Blueing" when we were growing up in India and there is a special technique to do this right because they can look blue which is worse. I wonder if they have better "blueing agents" now.
Baking soda is another one that works well.
Sounds like a good time was had by all! Your son sounds like mine - loves being up on stage and showing off :-)
I like Raji's ideas - and I's say that's what the other kids did! Unless it is a special style of shirt (and it doesn't look like one in the pictures) a cotton shirt and bleach should take care of the murkiness...bleach will eventually brighten this shirt as well, only, I know from experience that it takes about 10 washes :(
Try bleaching and drying the shirt in bright sunlight. Also, is Sindhu wearing an undershirt? A really white undershirt may also make the shirt look whiter.
Good luck!
M
Thanks for the ideas. I did ask some folks in our neighborhood, maybe I'll ask the parents so I'll be prepared for next year. It seems everyone uses Surf Excel Matic for the washing machine. I'm going to switch to that one, I was using Tide all along. The problem with buying a new shirt is that it has to be tailored and it's not worth it at this point since she only has a few more weeks to go and will probably not wear it more than a few more times. I have not heard of blueing agents, will check it out. As Maith suggests, maybe I'll continue to bleach/wash a few more times and see if that helps, I'm doing it as we speak. Main thing is that I need to be prepared for next year, at some point during the winter, Sindhu wore the school jacket over her shirt so noone saw how dirty it was but now that it's summer, we don't have that luxury :-) Thanks for the tips!!
There ya go - when in India, do as the Indians do - Surf!! :-) Surf is to detergent in India as Scotch Tape is to tape here.
Post a Comment