There was another mother there with her two children. They looked like NRIs and I had a suspicion they were also there because of the recommendation from the OWC member. She was extremely frustrated with the watered down paint and came by to talk to us about it. I was right, she is also an OWC member, she's from the bay area, just moved here 2 months ago, and is planning on moving to the same apartment block as we are. She wanted to give the manager feedback on the paint and suggested that I did too so together we can make a difference. I haven't been to a clay painting store in a long time so I don't have much to compare to although the paint was watered down. She also wanted to let the OWC members know about this too. A bit extrem, but I think when you first come to India, you feel that you have to give everyone feedback so they will change, but as you're here a bit longer, all that wears off. We then discussed the inevitable question that always comes up when you meet an NRI, are you here permanently? Like us, they are planning to move back in 3 years. Then the next topic is, how do you like it here? I said I was enjoying myself and she went on to say it's probably because we're both planning to return to the US but if our plan was to stay here permanently, it would not be so much fun. I was quite surprised by the statement but I guess my perspective would be different if we were staying here forever. Since most of our family is abroad, realistically, it just doesn't make sense for us stay here permanently but I don't think that it's so bad that one can't live here. There are definitely some challenges and the bugs, rodents, amphibians, and reptiles pose one of the bigger challenges. But India in a sort of odd way, makes me feel at home, not sure how to describe it. The NRIs I have met fall under several categories, ones that don't like it here mainly because they are bored, ones that love it here because they are close to their family and ones that are enjoying themselves for now but are not sure whether they'll be here forever or not.
Anyway, completely off topic but I'll be happy when Prasad is back tomorrow morning.
3 comments:
Interesting observation about the other person. I think you are right though - Madhav would not like to permanently settle in India for a variety of reasons but the biggest one is the political landscape - it frustrates him.
I know what you mean though regarding staying in India - a part of me is open to the idea of spending 4-5 years in India (given aging parents, it actually might be the right option) but I know that if I were a local person with local wages, it would be a difficult transition..
Mythili,
nice to hear that perspective - one I've seen echoed by a few recent retunees to India. (Do you read neoindian.org - very funny take on return to India)
In a few years I will have lived longer in the US than in India, but yes, India usually feels like home quickly enough, and I fall into the rhythms of speech/action etc. What frustrates me is the endemic corruption at the common-man level - when I have such a hard time navigating daily officialdom, I start to want to leave! The Political environment now franky terrifies me....am following the upcoming elections closely, but all possible consequences seem bad, and the rapidly growing instability in the region is another factor.
That said, with aging parents from both sides living in India, plus all of our extended families, I sometimes feel I would be less torn if I lived in India....
It's a zero sum game for us...
M
Maith,
You know I don't read any blogs by returnees, I'll check out newindian.org.
Teju/Maith,
I will shamefully admit, I'm not following the politics here at all. I'm aware there is an impending election. I know the election date because the kids have the day off from school :-) I see all these posters and briefly read about it in the newspaper but really I'm pretty much lost, so I've given up. Maybe that's why the politics don't frustrate nor scare me, ignorance is bliss :-)
I highly recommend you consider living here for a few years and both of you should come while we're here, it'll be so much fun!
Post a Comment